If I have ever witnessed a horribly twisted bad omen regarding a popular public figure’s pregnancy announcement, it would have to be this tragic tale of a radio prank gone horribly wrong. I hated to write this post, as I am sick to death of reporting news that is only newsworthy due to the sorry level of idiocy and tragedy that it exemplifies, but here it is. Even several days later I cannot shake this awful story. I keep thinking of the husband and two small children who now have to live out the rest of their lives without a wife, without a mother. This is one of the most senseless suicides I have ever learned of. It’s absolutely heartbreaking.
A few days ago the world was celebrating the glad holiday season announcement that Catherine Middleton and Prince William were expecting. Jubilation [of course!] ensued in Great Britain and around the world. Royal watchers soon learned that Catherine had experienced some complications with morning sickness and was hospitalized briefly. With the whole world watching and wondering if she would be OK, this is where the happy holiday story went from joy and certain reasonable concern into a disgusting nose dive.
- 2012 Idiot Loser Award goes out to these two radio buffoons who cost a
- London nurse her life with their stupid PR prank. Fire these two self-centered idiots
- and get them off the air asap.
Two Australian disc jockeys got the bright idea that they would cash in on the world interest in Catherine’s pregnancy and hospitalization be phoning into the hospital, pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. They successfully pranked the hospital nursing staff into telling them MUCH more than they should have known about Catherine and her condition. These two lug nuts then celebrated their success with much guffawing at how they pulled it all off. The nurse who took the call was obviously humiliated, shamed and in great distress at revealing information about Catherine to two total strangers.
On December 7th 2012 that nurse was found dead, apparently having taking her own life, as she felt shamed and humiliated and that she had perhaps failed to protect a member of the Royal family who was in her care.
I am so sick at heart to report this news item I can barely sit here. This is NOT what the world needs to hear, as each day escalates the bad and horrible news of the world ever more. It’s especially grievous to report it during the Christmas season.
A cheap publicity stunt for an Australian radio station has resulted in a distraught suicide and the two people who planned and executed the prank phone call are now liable for the death of a distressed and despairing human being, who it’s reported was an excellent nurse, beloved by her peers, who cared about the Royal family and was humiliated that she was tricked into revealing information about them.
God rest the soul of London nurse Jacintha Saldanha in peace. She did not deserve to die in such a way, and her life should not have been wasted by the pure idiocy of two shallow self centered very small human beings who thought nothing of the dignity of other careers as they sought to advance their own fame at anyone’s expense.
Apparently not enough people close to her made sure that she did not sink into blackness in her shame and embarrassment over what she had unwittingly done. What a sickening turn of events in what should have been a happy and joyous story.
Aussie news media states “only Britons hated the hoax call” but guess what? I have news for them. Many millions of Americans hated the hoax too, including media news bloggers like me, who well know that all real journalism and respectable media news suffers serious credibility when goofy low IQ radio DJs decide to act like complete idiots while trying to make a name for themselves. Look at what this prank came to.
- British Nurse Commits Suicide After Taking Prank Call About Kate Middleton From Australian DJs (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Kate Middleton’s Nurse Kills Herself Over Prank Phone Call From A Radio Show In Australia (ksfm.cbslocal.com)
- Kate Middleton’s Nurse Found Dead After Radio Prank! LISTEN To Prank HERE! (perezhilton.com)
- Nurse who took Kate Middleton prank call found dead (thestar.com)
- Nurse Pranked at Kate Middleton’s London Hospital ‘Commits Suicide’; Palace ‘Deeply Saddened’ by Events (celebuzz.com)
- Kate Middleton hospital nurse who answered Aussie prank call found dead (with video) (vancouversun.com)
- Nurse suicide after royal radio hoax (bigpondnews.com)
- Nurse Who Transferred Prank Call To Duchess Kate Middleton Room Found Dead (via @MzJanee ) (hot1041stl.com)
- Nurse who took prank call about Kate Middleton found dead (ndtv.com)
- UK suicide after Aust royal radio hoax (bigpondnews.com)