As many have feared, the conflict in Syria between rebelling Sunni Muslims and Syrian President Shi’ite Bashar al-Assad’s ruling forces is now spilling over into both Turkey and neighboring Lebanon. This morning a huge bomb blast detonated in the narrow streets of a Beirut neighborhood, blowing the sides off apartment buildings, killing eight people, wounding more than 70 others. Although the blast is being described as a “car bomb” in certain western news reports, an eye witness on the scene stated that the blast originated inside a civic building.
One of the people killed was Brig. General Wissam al-Hassan, a top Lebanese security official who was apparently the intended target of the bombing. Hassan had recently been involved in the arrest of a former Lebanese minister with close ties to President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, the embattled leader, raising suspicion that groups aligned with Mr. Assad were behind the attack.
#achrafieh #lebanon #explosion #damage #beirutcarbomb #beirut
- Beirut car bomb kills top official, 7 others (metronews.ca)
- At least 8 dead‚ 78 wounded in Beirut car bomb (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Huge bomb blast rocks central Beirut (aljazeera.com)
- Massive car bomb kills 8 in Beirut… (reuters.com)
- Car bomb kills 8, injures a dozen in Beirut (foxnews.com)
- Massive blast in Beirut, Lebanon, caused by car bomb, Lebanon’s state news agency NNA reports – @cnnbrk (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Hariri says Beirut blast an ‘act of terror’ (dailystar.com.lb)
- Beirut car bomb: eight confirmed dead and dozens more injured (telegraph.co.uk)
- Car bomb blast in Beirut kills at least eight (jpost.com)